Monday, February 22, 2010

"The Flight That Got Away"




pictured: two Chicago Style hot dogs and cheese fries
photo: Jasmine Lee

This summer I visited my friend Jasmine in Chicago. Chicago is food-famous for it's deep dish pizza (which wasn't all that impressive) and it's hot dogs. In the Hot Dog category a place called Hot Doug's is particularly good. Pretty famous spot, whenever you see a hot dog from around the nation documentary on the Food channel I can promise you this place is on there. So on my last day in Chicago, right around lunch time, about two hours before my flight to New York, Jasmine and I go to Hot Doug's.

We catch a bus which drops us off directly outside Hot Doug's, excellent. There is a line going out the door, not excellent, which is very strange because not once in Chicago did I have to wait, or see, a line for anything. I'd say it takes us about thirty minutes to get inside the place and check out the menu which features hot dogs as simple as the classic Ketchup Dog, to Chicago-style, and Foie Gras Dogs.
I'm a simple man, with simple dreams, so I order a Chicago-style dog because I figure this is the best opportunity I'll ever get to try one, and I order another because I'm hungry, and then I order cheese fries because I'm Garbage Gut and Jasmine can be very convincing.
One of the best parts about Hot Doug's is that Doug actually takes your order, and he's a really nice guy. He made suggestions, shot the shit, and wished me well on my impending flight that would be leaving Chicago in about an hour and a half.
Delicious hot dogs. Chicago-style means: mustard, onion, relish, sliced tomato, and a big ol' pickle on a poppy seed bun. If there ever was a good time for a food coma it would've been now, were it not for my flight in one hour.

After Hot Doug's I bust my ass to get back to Jasmine's to grab my bag, hop a train to the airport, and RUN to get a boarding pass. I don't get the boarding pass. I don't get on my flight. I have to pay a fee to get on the next flight.
Total Cost for those hot dogs: $105
Garbage Gut Score: 10 of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment